Basic Information About Family Green Cards & Visas


Berkeley, CA Green Card Attorney

Citizens and legal permanent residents of the United States can sponsor members of their family for immigration visas or green cards.

The spouses and children of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents may, themselves, apply for permanent residency if they are victims of domestic violence.

If you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States, you may apply for an immigration visa or green card for:

  • Your spouse
  • Your child under age 21
  • Your unmarried child over age 21

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may likewise petition for alien relatives including:

  • Your spouse
  • Your child under age 21
  • Your unmarried child over age 21 and his or her children
  • Your married child of any age and his or her children
  • Your siblings, their spouses and children (if you are at least 21)
  • Your parent (if you are at least 21)

At the Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, our Alameda County Green Card Lawyers goal is to give our clients peace of mind at a reasonable cost. One way we do this is by anticipating difficulties and knowing how to deal with them. For example:

  • We know from experience what to do when the person hoping to file the visa petition is out of status or when the alien spouse came to the United States illegally or has a criminal record.
  • We are mindful that the immigration authorities tend to assume most marriages are for convenience and are on the lookout for marriage fraud.
  • We handle “battered spouse petitions” for immigrant women and children who are the victims of domestic violence. Under the Violence Against Women Act or WAVA, these immigrants can seek safety-even if they are in the country illegally-by filing for immigration relief without the abuser’s knowledge.
Samuel Maina, Esq.

Get your questions answered - Call for a free case evaluation today at (415) 391-6612

Related Articles

Related Topics